[Ancientartifacts] Re: Edgar L Owen

Some stories on the web

I need to tell the members about my adventures with Edgar Owen
and the ill fated Han Dy. horse.

I found a cool looking, large Han Dynasty pottery horse on
Edgar's site a few years ago. It was described as intact. I knew
he had been around for a while and thought he had a decent
reputation. His site gave a no questions asked refund for the
first
two weeks and then unlimited time if piece proved to be non-
authentic or not as described.

This was an expensive piece and it took me about three months
to
get it paid for. The boxes, very large ones, arrived at my office
just a couple days before the Cedar Fire here in San Diego
County.
I was evacuated from my home for a week and closed down my dental
office for a week. I came within a few feet of losing my home and
my collection. By the time my mind had come around to where I
could
open the boxes, the two weeks were passed.

Upon opening the boxes, I found the entire piece covered in a
heavy mud. I decided to TL Test the piece which I did through Bob
Dodge (bless his heart!) at Artemis Gallery. The tests came back
partially ancient and partially new. So, I took the head over to
a
friend's office where he had a large digital x-ray. The x-rays
showed obvious cracks and large areas of repair.

I notified Edgar and he simply refused to take it back. He said
that I had got a good deal and to basically forget it.

I then washed off all the mud and found multiple areas of
repair
with plaster which were then colored to look original. I took the
piece to IM Chait and had him examine it and write a letter to
the
effect it was highly repaired. Still, Edgar refused to return my
money.

After the threat of a law suit, and the expense of a retainer
fe. I kept the horse and took two pieces off his website in
return
for dropping the lawsuit. I had the horse professionally restored
and sold it for basically the cost of the repair and shipping it
to
the restorer. This entire process took me a year and loss of a
lot
of hair.

After a year a hassle, and the loss of a few thousand dollars,
I
wrote this off to the expense of my education.

I learned: only buy from honest dealers; never buy an expensive
piece with out an examination and test; and stay very skeptical!!!

Edgar always has some interesting pieces, but his prices seem
high and he is impossible to deal
with.
nAncientartifacts@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Yare" <groups@...> wrote:
>
> I have been looking through the pages of the Edgar L. Owen gallery.
Is this
> a reputable dealer?
>
>
>
> Brian Yare
>

------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Ancientartifacts/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Ancientartifacts/join

(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
mailto:Ancientartifacts-digest@yahoogroups.com
mailto:Ancientartifacts-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
Ancientartifacts-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/


Amazon Video

bUy dvds OnlInE