Re: [Ancientartifacts] Cypriot jug

Hi everyone,
 
Ernie is wrong as regards my "ulterior motive". I told Ernie at the outset of this debacle that I have indeed recently obtained a better jug of this kind (from Rolf). I therefore decided to sell Ernie's jug on eBay. As I was writing the eBay description I looked at the jug again in relation to Ernie's COA and examined the jug more closely than before. I thought I should test the jug with acetone - both the restored areas "around the neck and handle" as mentioned in the COA but also the main body of the jug. I then found that the red slip came away easily all over the jug. So I then tested the jug I bought from Rolf and found the red slip did not come away easily. So I became suspicious. I did not feel I could advertise the jug on eBay using the same description of condition given in Ernie's COA. So I put all this to Ernie. He has refused to give me any refund because I have tested the jug with acetone.
 
The comments I made to Ernie about the jug when I bought it in February 2007 were when I was very much a newbie to collecting (I started in June 2006) before I had handled many Cypriot pots and before I knew about acetone testing.     
 
Cheers,
Stephen Churley

----- Original Message ----
From: "Passtoant@hughes.net" <Passtoant@hughes.net>
To: Ancientartifacts@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Friday, June 6, 2008 10:15:00 PM
Subject: [Ancientartifacts] Cypriot jug

Hello all.
For some strange reason I have received no postings regarding the subject item.
Stephen Chruley is partly correct in what I have seen.
The jug has been restored as stated in my CoA. However, I hold that the jug was altered by his application of acetone and is not in the same condition as when it was shipped to him. I also believe he has an ulterior motive in demanding a refund.
When the jug was delivered to him he advised me in an email ......"The piece arrived today and I am very pleased with it. I have been wanting one of these for some time and they don't often appear on the market. Although the handle has been re-attached and there is some restoration to the rim, I think it's a pretty good example for the price. The burnished red colour is lovely.
And there were no Customs charges or VAT!
Thanks again and best wishes."
 
I hold that Mr. Churley found a jug in better condition that he wanted more then the one in which he expressed so much pleasure and now wants a refund. I will not give him one. And, the jug was in "extremely good condition."
 
I made no claims that the CoA referred solely to the authenticity and not to condition. I did state that the jug had been restored.
 
Mr. Chruley is correct in that condition cannot be dissociated from authenticity and that is the reason that both are addressed in my CoA's.
 
Thank you
Tim, can you explain whey I am not receiving posts?
Ernie Krumbein

__._,_.___

Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___

Amazon Video

bUy dvds OnlInE