Re: [Ancientartifacts] Guidelines for Responsible Collectors

Robyn,

---- Rlcirulli1@aol.com wrote:

> I live near Cornell University. They have the Johnson Art Museum, but I've
> been there, and believe me it's nothing special, and no Egyptian stuff. Not
> sure about teaching collections, though.

I had a look at their website. Doesn't look promising. I'm not good on US geography, Cornell Uni is near New York somewhere....there must be other places. A museum would be best, one that has a middle eastern collection....and if your passion is Egyptology then some egyptological artefacts.

Volunteers can usually get away with very flexible "working" hours depending on your own personal commitments. I was already working at the Powerhouse so I connected her with the area she was interested in.

Registration is a very good place to try for (in a larger institution) because you'll see all manner of things coming through the doors. Registration documents the objects, puts on inventory numbers and is largely responsible for co-ordinating storage and handling (along with the Conservation section).

> I would love to sit there and do conservation work, that would be
> fascinating, but I wouldn't even attempt any kind of restoration!

To get anywhere in Conservation work you basically need a Science degree. There was one available here specifically for Conservators....4 years, I think it was.


> I'm sure they have an archaeology dept, and more than likely an Egyptology
> dept, I would imagine they have the students doing the stuff they need, but
> I'll still check into it.

You'd be surprised. In four years at Sydney, I can only remember one student who did some voluntary work in Conservation at the Nicolson. First year had about 110 students.....

> I'll have to wait a while, though, life is pretty
> full at the moment, been on the run for the last 14 hrs today.

Ok.

I'm going to Egypt in November (second trip) and hope to pick up a lot of books while I'm there. I also want to check out the markets because I hear from people here that there are a lot of "copies" sold there for the tourist trade. Interesting to compare these to eBay stuff.....

Trevor.


------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Ancientartifacts/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Ancientartifacts/join

(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
mailto:Ancientartifacts-digest@yahoogroups.com
mailto:Ancientartifacts-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
Ancientartifacts-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/


Amazon Video

bUy dvds OnlInE