Re: [Ancientartifacts] Re: Bronze idol

Dear Robert,
I must have missed part of this thread as I seem to be having some email Issues.  We indeed seem to be discussing two different objects. Sorry for any confusion on my part.
Best Regards,
DAvid
On Jun 14, 2008, at 2:29 PM, Robert Kokotailo wrote:

At 11:44 AM 6/14/2008, David Liebert wrote:

Dear Jason ,
With all do respect to you and Robert who I know to be expert in many  
areas, female bronze figures dating to the Bronze age particularly in  
the Levant are published in the archaeological Literature and  
represented in Many Museums.

I think there is some confusion here, because there were two different bronze objects discussed on this thread, and possibly comments about them were being applied to the wrong one.

Neither I nor anyone else wrote that there were no female bronze figures of the bronze age.  To say that would be ridiculous.

My comments along that regard were specific to the bronze example that first started this thread, with the wide hips, stub arms, and bird like head, commonly known as Astarte figures.  I am not at all aware there is any such equivalent in bronze, and I outlined several features on that particular figure that made me believe it was a relatively modern fake.  If anyone can document a bronze example of that or at least very similar type (wide hips, stub, pronounced navel, without or without the odd helmet), I would like to see the reference.

My comments about the second figure, which was a totally un-related type, specifically stated I felt it was genuine, but was probably not an idol (which I take to means and object make for purposes of worship) but was rather I suspected it is part of a larger utilitarian object for the application of cosmetics.  I am open to debate on what it's purpose was, but the truth is we will probably never know.

Robert Kokotailo








Robert Kokotailo
Calgary Coin



__._,_.___

Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___

Amazon Video

bUy dvds OnlInE