[AAEH] Re:what is my chair worth?

Just who is supposed to answer, "I don't know" Christy? Nobody is
getting paid to be here. I certainly don't.

If you want to start a discussion about antiques, then by all means
discuss away. It's up to the group to decide what it wants to do, and
how it wants to do it. This isn't a kindergarten class where you get
a grade for playing well with others. It's not up to me or Kathleen
to cheer lead the group members into spouting off.

The experts in this group are you, the group members. Each and every
one of you knows something about something. If you don't see an
answer being given to a question, then jump in, and give an opinion.
I'm certainly not going to tell you that you are wrong.

What I've gotten from the messages the last couple of days is that
people want an answer, right or wrong, just an answer. Me personally,
I'm not going to give an answer unless I think it's somewhere in the
right ballpark, because I don't want it coming back, and biting me in
the butt.

You, on the other hand, any of you can answer up any time you'd like,
and the message will get posted.


--- In AppraisalsAndExpertHelp@yahoogroups.com, "aparamedicintx"
<aparamedicintx@...> wrote:
> Maybe an answer of "I havent every seen these, or i dont know
> would" be nice. You dont have to make something up.
> I thought the point of the group was discussion about object.
> Exchange what you know or dont know.
> Maybe if more people responded with a "O those are nice, but I dont
> know the value" would keep the conversation going some
> Christy
> --- In AppraisalsAndExpertHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Bob" <redline60@>
> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I think I answered the question why certain appraisals were given,
> and
> > why some were not a couple of weeks ago, but here I go again.
> >
> > Some questions have no, zero, answers, because we simply do not
> know.
> > There are many, many things made every year, and most of them end
> up
> > being passed down, or resold, or just kept. Then they get old.
> >
> > If somebody wants this particular old thing, then they will offer a
> > price. If a bunch of people start to collect these old things, then
> > they will start to become scarce, and the price will go up.
> >
> > Or someone may write a book, and think something ought to be worth a
> > given amount, and so give it a price.
> >
> > Most of us in this group know something about certain categories of
> > vintage, or antique objects. Nobody here knows everything.
> >
> > I, the moderator, joined this group because I was trying to find the
> > price on two weird looking folding chairs I found in an alley. I
> > still have no answers. It turns out that these chairs are not
> > collectible, and so no one ever fixed a value to them, so in essence
> > if I were to try to sell these things, I'd be selling them as used,
> > instead of antique, which along with being a category, is itself a
> > value.
> >
> > Add the word antique to anything, and the price goes up. Add the
> word
> > vintage, and the price goes up somewhat.
> >
> > Here is what I would suggest for anyone who has not gotten the
> > information they have been searching for from this group. Go to
> > http://www.ebay.com, and do a search for your particular object.
> > Chances are someone is selling something similar. See what types of
> > bids they are getting. If after watching the auction, there are no
> > bids, then you can see that there might be no collectible value for
> > the object.
> >
> > Then do a simple web search for your object. See if any online
> > vendors are offering the same thing. If they are, discount it by
> 25%
> > to 50%, because of retail markup, and you have an approximate value.
> >
> > If, after both of those, you still don't have a value, then head
> down
> > to your local library, and see if they have any books on the
> subject.
> > Or you can go down to your local bookstore and see if they have
> anything.
> >
> > I used to belong to a group where the guy in charge felt he had to
> > answer every question whether or not he really knew the answer. I
> > mean he would make up things totally, just to satisfy people.
> Maybe
> > I'll do that. It won't be right, it won't be correct, but it will
> be
> > an answer.
> >
> >
> >
> > Bob
> >
> >
> >
> > --- In AppraisalsAndExpertHelp@yahoogroups.com, beachlovers6751
> > <beachlovers6751@> wrote:
> > >
> > > I have been a part of this group for quite sometime, wanting to
> know
> > what ny antique lamp was worth, but have received NO RESPONSES. SO
> > please don't get your hopes up. I will probably end up cancelling
> > because I see no improvements. Good Luck.
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
> > >
> >


To receive this email you joined this group. If you no longer wish to receive mail please go in and change your options at the club. You do not have to unsubscribe ie terminate membership in order to stop receiving mail.Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:

Amazon Video

bUy dvds OnlInE