Re: [Ancientartifacts] Re: The Unidroit Convention (Rome) 1995

Rolf,

Yes....I will have a read.....I just skimmed through some of it.

---- rolf5568 <heliosgallery@btinternet.com> wrote:

> In short, I think the answer to your question would be that the
> convention does not define an individual nation's laws of export
> (which was Steve's question). I think it sets out to define
> unilaterally acceptable agreements on how to make an application for
> the return of an "illicit" object and to define legal grounds for
> prosecution/extradition of the owner/handler of an item which is in
> dispute.
> But before anyone corrects me I would like to state that I've not
> read it entirely, so please be gentle when you put me straight! :-)

Looks like it's integrally tied to export though, in the sense that if an artefact is illegally taken from a country then there is a procedure/mechanism for it's return. I was looking at the World Map and the "compliance" percentages for a couple of countries....at least that's what I thought it was.

Maybe someone knows more about this....I couldn't find a list of signatories to the Convention.

As I said, I will find the time to read the Convention. I only found it because I wondered about this Unidroit-L group that Dave Welsh moderates......which I noticed was not one of the official sites for the dissemination of information re. the Convention. Call me an ignoramus but I can't see Dave being a spokesperson for this Convention somehow.

Aside: isn't it funny how things change. Paul gets a breather and you take up the slack! Doesn't appear you have anything to worry about there. In fact, what I see is a few shady dealers trying to "clean out" those who expose them.

Trevor.


------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Ancientartifacts/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Ancientartifacts/join

(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
mailto:Ancientartifacts-digest@yahoogroups.com
mailto:Ancientartifacts-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
Ancientartifacts-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/


Amazon Video

bUy dvds OnlInE