Re: [Ancientartifacts] Scarab problem

Hi Teresa,
Since I also dabble in Glass (I make Glass beads and fuse glass), if it is true frit, it
is just glass and yes, you can wash it, soak it and it shouldn't do anything. Are you
sure that your Carnelian piece is for sure Carnelian and not glass, as it sounds just like
the way Greek and Roman Glass turns out with the Opalescence on the piece.

Kim

Teresa Day-Smith wrote:
> Thanks Jim and Kim,
>
> I do not think my scarab problem is salt at least not on one of them.
>
> On the carnelian scarab bronze ring --- the white shiny haze has become
> one with the carnelian. It does not powder off nor does it lightly
> scrape off with a dental pick. I have major doubts that water will do
> much. If water would have an affect, it would have to soak for a very
> long time.
>
> The other scarab which I am sure is NOT steatite (and may be blue frit?)
> --- the white stuff does powder off with a dental pick. A friend
> suggested that I scrape some off and TASTE IT to see if it is salt. (Let
> me say, there is absolutely no way I would TASTE anything that had been
> on a scarab!) Anyway, I am in the process of researching for a test for
> salt. Does anyone know if frit can be damaged by soaking?
>
> This scarab has some interesting glyphs but I don't want to ask the
> group their meaning until I am sure I have them correct -- for example I
> thought this scarab had a "Ra" - circle on it. Then after scraping it, I
> discovered that the circle was really a square.
>
> I get so frustrated sometimes. Eventhough I have 8 + 2 = 10 books on
> scarabs (I just received the two F. S. Matouk books in the mail this
> week.); I still find reading the glyphs difficult.
>
> Teresa Day-Smith
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> ---------[ Received Mail Content ]----------
>
> *Subject : *Re: [Ancientartifacts] Scarab problem
>
> *Date : *Fri, 06 Jun 2008 17:06:37 -0400
>
> *From : *JShaffer99@aol.com
>
> *To : *Ancientartifacts@yahoogroups.com
>
>
>
> Hi all,
>
> Well, after rebuilding my system, I am back.? What a pain it is.?
>
>
>
> To comment on Teresa's scarabs, if it is stone or faience, a good
> bath in DW should not be a problem.? For the one still on the
> encrusted ring, I agree that cares should be exercised but again,
> unless dirt is all that is holding it together, I cannot see the
> harm in a bath.? But of course, they are not mine.? :^)
>
>
>
> I have soaked ushabtis and scarabs in the past without any
> difficulties though.
>
>
>
> A;; the best,
>
>
>
>
>
> "Ancient" Jim
>
> Et Tu Antiquities
>
>

http://ettuantiquities.com
>
>
>
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
>
> From: Teresa Day-Smith
>
> To: Ancientartifacts@yahoogroups.com
>
> Cc: tdsmith928@lycos.com
>
> Sent: Fri, 6 Jun 2008 12:33 pm
>
> Subject: [Ancientartifacts] Scarab problem
>
>
>
>
>
> All,
>
>
>
> I have two scarabs that need cleaning (badly).
>
>
>
> One is a carnelian scarab still on its bronze ring. It is really a
> nice piece but one can not see the true color of the carnelian. It
> has a whitish haze like hard water deposits but shinning. The
> carnelian scarab is frozen in place (will not move/spin) and I am
> fearful it would break from the ring if I did much to it.
>
>
>
> The other is a very unique scarab (actually a scaraboid) with glyphs
> that I am still researching to discover their meaning (none of my
> eight books on scarabs has anything like them). It has a white
> powdery substance on it like plaster. I removed some of this
> substance around the holes with a dental pick but I am afraid to
> proceed any further. This scarab I know for sure is NOT steatite and
> I think it is probably faience - it has that medium solid blue color.
>
>
>
> I remember a discussion in the group about putting faience shabties
> in distilled water but as I remember that was not to clean them but
> for salt problems?
>
>
>
> Does anybody have any ideas?
>
>
>
> Teresa Day-Smith
>
>

------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Ancientartifacts/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Ancientartifacts/join

(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
mailto:Ancientartifacts-digest@yahoogroups.com
mailto:Ancientartifacts-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
Ancientartifacts-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/


Amazon Video

bUy dvds OnlInE